Saturday, April 7, 2018

First look at the top 25 cryptocurrency's growth rates



I have been playing around investing in cryptocurrencies for a while. I started with bitcoin (BTC) and gradually expanded to include other coins. But with the rapid growth in their prices, followed by a rapid fall, I’m wondering if I should just forget all the other coins and just focus on BTC’s. I decided to look at the growth rates of the top 25 coins by market cap to see if I could find some support for this view.

I downloaded the prices history for each of the top 25 and focused initially on the data for one year, the last 3 quarters of 2017 and the 1st quarter of 2018. I then wrote a program to do linear regression of the closing price by day. This resulted in a slope co-efficient which reflects the rate of growth over the period. I divided this by the average closing price during the period and determined a growth rate percentage. Following are two charts plotting the data with the regression line shown over the daily closing prices. One is for bitcoin (BTC) and the other for Vechain (VEN).



The actual data can be found in the following file;
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O2vLagPFmKOkSjMspY9tZ3ydfPDE9YUP/view?usp=sharing


The growth rate for BTC was 0.55% while VEN’s was 1.09%. VEN was chosen because it had 1 year of data and a high growth rate. Obviously that rate is deceptive because VEN’s performance was very flat early on. I’ll look more in depth in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Run line analysis update

I looked back and had very slight profit on run line wagers in 2018. So, I decided to update my run line analysis from a year ago. I pos...